Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chalkboard Card Tutorial

Thank you for all the many, many e-mail asking how I made this Chalkboard Easel card.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is not my creation, I adapted from by a card shown on Stampin' Connections by a demonstrator named Angie. I have no idea what her measurements were, but I will show you how I made it.
Edited to Add:  I have just been contacted by Angie's upline, Julie. She is a UK demonstrator and I have linked her name to her blog.  Thank you Julie for letting me know.




 Start with a piece of Basic Black cardstock cut 4-1/4" x 11'.  Fold in half.  The first step is to make the legs.  Insert the open end of the cardstock into the paper cutter at the 1/2" mark and cut from the end of the card to the 1-1/2" line.  Turn the cardstock over and repeat for the other leg.



Insert the cardstock into the paper cutter horizontally with the two cuts facing the left.  Line the cardstock up at 1-1/2" and cut from one leg to the other.
The left shows the cut lines with a white pencil outline, the right is what it looks like after you cut.



Frame
  Woodgrain Background stamp, Soft Suede cardstock cut 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" and a Soft Suede ink pad. Ink the stamp and stamp the cardstock.



Cut the cardstock into 1/2" strips.  Cut two vertically FIRST, then two horizontally.

Chalkboard Technique

Stamp the image in either Versamark or White Craft Pad.  Sprinkle with White Embossing Powder and heat set with the Heat Tool.

 Using a white washcloth, pick up a little White Craft Ink and smear it in a circular motion over the embossed image.  Start lightly and increase as you get comfortable.  You want it to be nice and blotchy but not polka dotty.  Keep moving all over the chalkboard.


Easter Chalkboard
Easy Events and Delightful Dozen Stamp Set


 Easter Egg banner was made using the small oval punch.  String them together with White Baker's Twine.


Easy Events Stamp Set and a white colored pencil for the border.  Banner was made with the Petite Curly Label Punch, Cupcake Builder Punch for the candle and Boho Blossoms Punch for the Flower.


Inside View

15 comments :

  1. Love this idea. I'm a retired teacher-now with time to stamp. How perfect this idea will be for many of the cards I send!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!!!!!!!!! THANKS BECKY!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky, Angie is in my downline over here in the UK and you can find her blogspot and tutorial here

    http://www.feathertassel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/little-chalkboard.html

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Easter version of it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    PS I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A million thanks yous, Becky, for posting this terrific tutorial with your wonderful card creations! I've been seeing chalkboard cards popping up everywhere but I didn't know how to do it...now...thanks to you...I do!! Love your idea of smearing a little of the white ink to really give the appearance of the chalkboard effect. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, thank you so much for sharing your tutorial with all of us. I have been wanting to play with the "chalkboard" technique, but wanted something a little more to adapt it for some teacher friends... This will work wonderfully! Thank you again. God bless you and prosper you in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These little easels are just adorable...thank you for sharing your tutorial! Think I love the Easter one the best...but such a darling idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable! Thank you thank you thank you for sharing the tutorial! I cannot wait to make some for my teacher friends and as one of my teacher appreciation gifts for my kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, WOW! How cute! Perfect for my teacher friends!

    Thanks for the instructions!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful, easy to follow tutorial Becky! Thanks
    Love the banners!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becky! Absolutely adorable! Thank you for sharing a free tutorial!
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, that's just pretty stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Becky, I continue to be a fan of your work. As I was scrolling through your beautiful projects I fell in love with this chalkboard card technique. It's so cute. I liked it so much I wanted to share it with my community so curated it to my site, in hopes that more people will get to see your work.

    ReplyDelete